A carefully prepared CV increases the chances of reaching the interview phase of a selection process and can, on occasion, determine access to a position. Do you want to guarantee that yours conforms to these characteristics? Check that you meet these 10 requirements for a successful resume.
Relevance versus quantity of information
- It should be borne in mind that a resume should be a short document, containing the essential information. When in doubt, follow this maxim: its length should not exceed two pages.
- If you are thinking of including personal information, ask yourself the following question: is it relevant to the position? Avoid including details like age, gender, or marital status.
- Although adding a section on hobbies and personal interests can offer the recruiter valuable information about your profile, remember that it is a complementary aspect, so do not extend yourself.
Fundamentals: what you should never miss
- Professional experience is the aspect that should weigh most heavily on a resume. Indicates positions in reverse chronological order, providing more details on the most recent experiences and explaining any periods of inactivity.
- Information about your professional experience should not remain a mere description of roles. Highlight the accomplishments, responsibilities, and challenges you faced in each of them, visually if possible.
- Academic training must also appear in reverse chronological order, giving greater prominence to the last educational stages. Do not forget to indicate the institutions where you studied.
- Do you have additional training? Include your computer skills, languages and any other training that is relevant to the position you are applying for.
- References allow the company to confirm the information provided by the candidate before making a decision. Can you facilitate them? Indicate on your resume the possibility of providing them upon request.
Matter of style
- The style of the curriculum should be objective: do not write in the first person and start the sentences with verbs.
- Do you want to offer a professional image? Make sure there are no misprints in the document and you can even ask a third person to read it.
Also Read: The 5 Reasons Why Your Company Should Be On Linkedin