We find content that may not interest us in the microblogging social network. For this reason, for a long time, we have been able to use the Themes function on Twitter, a tool that is quite unknown to many users. Here we tell you what they are, how to create yours and how to use them.
What are Twitter themes?
Twitter Topics, which is what this feature is called, makes it easier for social network users to filter the estimated 500 million tweets posted daily and filter what most appeals to them. In short, it serves to find content related to your interests.
It is an option that we can configure in the application settings, which allows us to select and follow the trends that may interest us the most from a list of “topics”. When a user follows a topic, more related news and tweets will appear on their Twitter timeline.
The app often suggests topics based on your account activity, and you’ll automatically find them on your home screen timeline. You can click Follow to see related tweets if a topic of interest is proposed.
How to follow or delete Twitter Topics
Twitter occasionally suggests that you follow topics by displaying a small card in the middle of your timeline and as part of the search results you perform through the app. However, you do not have to wait for the social network to do it for you, since whenever you want, you can navigate to the Themes menu and see all the following and suggested ones.
From the phone
If you use the mobile application, you must follow these steps:
- Open the Twitter app on your phone.
- Tap the profile icon that appears in the top left corner.
- Tap the Themes menu in the left sidebar.
- The Topics page has a Follow, Suggested, and Not Interested tab.
- Tap the Suggested tab and scroll down the screen to see all the categories and topics.
- Tap the “+” icon next to the name of a topic to follow.
From the computer
It is not very complicated to do the same from the web version of the microblogging platform; you have to follow these steps:
- Open Twitter in a web browser.
- Access the social network with your credentials.
- Click the “+” icon on the left sidebar.
- Now, click on the Themes icon.
- On the Topics page, you have three tabs: Followed, Suggested, and Not Interested.
- In the Suggested tab, you can scroll down the page to see the “topics” that the social network considers interesting.
- Click the plus icon next to a topic to follow.
Stop following a topic
Regardless of whether you are using the mobile app or the web version of the social network, to stop following a topic that does not interest you, you must follow the reverse path.
- Open the Twitter app on your mobile phone or the web.
- Touch the profile icon in the upper left corner of your phone screen or enter the More section in the left sidebar.
- Tap the Themes icon in the left sidebar.
- On the Followed tab, you’ll see all the topics you’re following.
- Tap the “Follow” button that appears next to a topic.
- Lastly, tap Unfollow on the topic in question.
- Create your topics on Twitter.
Twitter does not make it easy for us to create themes in the platform application. The only thing we can do is appear in the topics proposed and suggested by the platform itself.
If we want to appear in the “Action Movies” “Topic”, we will have to write a lot about this film genre, posting different tweets over time and creating threads related to this theme.
Also Read: How Do The New Twitter Communities Work?