“There is WiFi!”, You say happily as you enter that cafe attracted by the sticker on the door. You need to connect at all costs and, who knows why the data connection is not good for you (you may be abroad). You enter the establishment, ask for something and quickly ask for the WiFi key. They tell you. You find the network, enter a password, and connect. Happiness? No: the signal is too low.
And it is even worse when this happens to you in your own home, with your router and your Internet connection (if it is with the neighbor’s, it is normal and you have no right to complain). To do? Is there a way to increase the WiFi signal on the mobile? Any smartphone equivalent of the famous Pringles boat legend? Yes of course! There are applications for everything and some apps will help you increase the WiFi signal, either by making your smartphone receive it better or by indicating where you should move. Next, we go with 5 apps to improve the WiFi signal of the smartphone.
Improve the WiFi signal with these applications
- OpenSignal: This app will make the classic walks around the house with your mobile raised looking for the place with the best signal (both WiFi and coverage in general) easier: it will show you an arrow with the direction you should follow. In addition, on a map, you can see where the closest mobile antennas are, as well as the areas where there is more coverage for your operator. You will also be able to locate the public Wi-Fi points that you have around you, very useful if you have not yet found that bar with the sticker outside. It is a free app, available for Android.
- WiFi Analyzer: Sometimes problems with the WiFi signal come from simple interference or overlap between several networks, something against which we, as ordinary users, cannot do anything. Or we couldn’t: this app monitors the surrounding wireless networks and detects those that are interfering and on which channels. Thus, it will be easier for you to choose a network that is less mixed with others. It also has an audible alarm that we can activate so that the app warns us when we are in a place with good coverage. Available for Android.
- Network Speed Booster: This app works, as they explain, by renewing the connection to mobile towers, thus improving reception and Internet speed. A bit like when you unplug and plug in the router and you make everything go faster. The improvements are notable: call quality, radio reception, Internet … In its favor, it also has a very intuitive interface, so it is not difficult to learn how to use it to get the most out of it. . Available for Android.
- WiFi Connect: A kind of WiFi network manager that shows you which connection points you have nearby, in addition to the strength of its signal, the channel number, its security, link speed, and the IP address. In addition, you can also activate notifications, to always know if you have WiFi networks at your fingertips. The best thing, however, is its design, quite original: the available connections appear in the form of paper cutouts as if they were posted on a notice board. Available for free for Android.
- WiFi Manager: The WiFi Manager application for Android is very easy to use. This application will help you to know all the WiFi networks that are within your reach and also informs you of their channel and power.
In addition, thanks to WiFi Manager you can enable its practical desktop widget with which you can activate and deactivate a connection just by clicking on its switch icon. When you connect to a network, the application through its widget will show you: the name of the network, the signal strength, illustrated in a graph with percentages. On the other hand, you can also see the IP address assigned to that network. In short, with WiFi Manager, you can find out at any time if your smartphone’s WiFi connection is optimal.
In addition to connecting to the Internet from your mobile via WiFi, it has one of our mobile rates without the permanence and its fantastic data bonuses!
Other options: Devices to increase the Wi-Fi signal at home
If we cannot move our wifi router and we do not want to connect the whole house to obtain the WiFi signal in the places where it arrives, we can use some devices that can facilitate this task. Repeaters are solutions that, even if they do not guarantee the best speed, will help us extend the range of our WiFi signal. We can find many models of WiFi repeaters for a very cheap price, making it a very affordable solution.
Another solution can be to use WiFi mesh, as well as some routers that allow you to connect multiple wireless access points. But other devices most used to extend the Wi-Fi signal in the house are PLCs.
PLC to extend the WiFi signal
What a PLC does is transport the data from our Internet connection through the electrical installation of our house. Therefore, they are a great solution to the problems of our signal, since they allow us to transfer it from one place to another and thus extend the WiFi signal without having to wire the whole house and thus optimize the performance of your Internet connection.